Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Cricut Surprise!

I am thrilled to announce that I did indeed get a Cricut for Christmas.  My dad and Verna came to visit us the week after Thanksgiving and surprised me with an early Christmas gift.  I had to keep it hush-hush, though, because they also bought one for each of my sisters-in-law, who didn't know until Christmas or a few days before. 


My Cricut Station


I am so grateful for this gift...it has already paid off in more ways than I ever imagined!  I made so many Christmas gifts, tags, and even boxes with it!  My biggest project was to make a personalized 2009 Calendar for 11 families.  I have never scrapbooked a day in my life - I got in over my head, but the project turned out better than expected.  Aside from the hours and hours I never anticipated, and the budget that spiraled North, this was an incredibly fun project and a worthwhile learning experience. Leave it to me to dive right in and burn myself out. Who knew you could go through so much glue?
















In addition to the calendars, I tried my hand at glass etching -- about 15 baking pans. I started with glass pie pans, then tried a few 8X8 glass casserole pans, and even etched a giant glass bowl for the giver of the gift...it says "Grandma Booma's Banana Pudding".  She always makes this yummy banana pudding with Nilla Wafers, and I just had to personalize her treat! 


My sister, Kelly, is modeling this baking pan for me...so cute!
I will post detailed instructions for this project soon. (Esp. for you Britt!)

The gift tags were one of my favorite projects, and thanks to the AutoFill feature, the easiest, too.  The cartridge Tags, Bags and Boxes is worth every penny - go get it!  

My absolute favorite thing to create on the Cricut is vinyl lettering.  So far, I've only done two words on my own walls, but I personalized some chairs for my boys and cut the word "Family" and applied it to some really cute tin signs I found at the craft store for my mom and mother-in-law.  I have a BIG vinyl project coming up...I am really looking forward to it!  It is the baby's nursery.  I'm planning on doing a vinyl border around the whole room, vinyl embellishments on the door and closet doors, vinyl initials, some stenciling and my favorite little girl saying above the closet doors. I can hardly wait to paint and get going!


Our bathroom door


Personalized Video Rocker Chairs


This should eliminate some fighting!?!?

I also plan on doing a big vinyl project in our new basement bathroom.  You'll have to check back and see how it turns out! It should be interesting since our house is pretty modern and I never really thought I would be able to do the cute vinyl lettering like all my friends have.  It will be different, but fun. The exercise room will get a few words, too.  I will post detailed descriptions and instructions of most or all of these upcoming projects.  Especially the nursery!

I love my Cricut!  I had no idea I would get this much use out of it. It is worth every penny.

2 comments:

BreAn said...

WOW! What you've got so far is awesome! I can't wait to see the rest of the projects. I love mine too, but haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like because I've got two little ones that take a lot of attention *wink*.
Good for you for getting so creative!

Unknown said...

I'm going to buy one and copy every project you do.